Assist in the distribution of Eucharist during weekend and Holy Day masses. Meetings for Ministers of Communion are not held on a regular basis, but when required.
- Arrive early and check in when assigned at a given Mass.
- Reverently distribute consecrated bread or consecrated wine at one of the stations in the church.
- Follow the norms and procedures developed for Mary Mother of the Church.
- Attend the biannual meetings for Ministers of the Eucharist held in the Parish.
- Be at least 16 years of age and have received the sacrament of Confirmation.
- Demonstrate reverence for the Eucharist.
- The ability to remain calm and serve prayerfully, but joyfully.
- The ability to work as a member of a team.
- Serve at weekend Masses as per the Parish Roster.
- Attend scheduled meetings as required.
Length of commitment
- Appointment as Minister of the Eucharist is for 3 years.
- Two 2 hour sessions or one 3 hour session conducted prior to commencing the ministry.
- Possibility of initially pairing up with an experienced Minister of the Eucharist.
- The relevant Minister of the Eucharist Coordinator
- Saturday Vigil (6.00 pm) – Ian Boorman
- Sunday (8.30 am) – Michael Patterson
- Sunday (10.00 am) – Gerry Crescini or Tina Pineda
Procedure during Mass
To enable a smoother and more respectful flow in the Liturgy of the Eucharist, all Eucharistic Ministers are to follow these Guidelines
Eucharistic Ministers are asked to:
- Sit at the end of the Pew to minimise disruption to other members of the congregation when the minister proceeds to assist in the Mass.
- Approach the Altar (only after the congregation prays “Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed”) and stand at the base of the steps on either side and facing the Altar.
- After the Altar Server/s have received communion and move from the Sanctuary, Ministers of the Eucharist move to the Sanctuary to receive communion.
- When finished assisting in the distribution of the Eucharist, Ministers place the Ciborium/Chalice on the Altar and return to their seat.